A concerned mother made a horrifying discovery after becoming curious about a product she had purchased for her child. What she ended up learning is horrifying for any parent with a young child.
Kristi Warner lives in Rhode Island, and this holiday season, she went to Claire’s Boutique at Providence Place Mall to buy her young daughter a makeup kit. After becoming concerned about the safety of the product she had just purchased, she sent it off to a lab to be tested.
The results were horrifying.
“I physically sank,” Warner told reporters. “I ended up sitting on the ground, just trying to wrap my head around how something like that could end up in our home.”
Warner sent the makeup to the Scientific Analytical Institute, and she couldn’t have received worse news – the product was loaded with tremolite asbestos, a product known by the National Cancer Institute to cause malignant mesothelioma.
Concerned the company may have other dangerous products, she sent another 16 makeup products from nine different states to the same lab. All of them came back with the same results.
“In the work that we do, we’ve come across contaminated cosmetics, but you just assume that a children’s product would be safe,” Warner, who works for a law firm dealing with asbestos cases, told WJAR.
In response to the shocking discovery, Claire’s released the following statement:
“At Claire’s the safety of our customers is of paramount importance, and we are passionate about the safety and integrity of our products. We work closely with our vendors to ensure our products are tested and assessed in line with the relevant country regulations and guidelines.
As a result of today’s inquiry from WJAR-TV, we have taken the precautionary measure of pulling the items in question from sale, and will be conducting an immediate investigation into the alleged issues. Once we have more information and have the results of the investigation we will take the necessary action.”
According to Fox News, this isn’t the first time that children’s makeup has been found to contain asbestos. The same lab, Scientific Analytical Institute, also discovered it in makeup products sold by Justice, but the company dismissed the results as faulty after conducting their own analysis.