There are many natural formulas for keeping your hair healthy, shiny and strong. Using castor oil is an old, traditional way of taking care of the scalp and hair. Read about the benefits of castor oil, which is derived from seeds or beans of castor oil plant (Ricinus communis), and learn how to apply it to your hair.
Benefits of Castor Oil for Hair
Castor oil has been well known for its medicinal properties. It’s often used as a laxative, but has a wide variety of other health benefits, including many pertaining to hair and hair growth, as well as for facial oil cleansing method, stretch marks, dark spots and more.
The oil has a unique chemical composition, which most likely contributes to its healing potential. It mostly consists of a triglyceride of fatty acids. It contains vitamin E, omega-6 fatty acids, minerals, and proteins, which are all important for the health of your hair and scalp.
- helps with hair regrowth and hair loss
- makes the hair richer and darker
- prevents split ends
- treats dandruff and dry scalp
- moisturizes the hair and makes it shine
- works in an antifungal and antibacterial way and can prevent problems such as piedra, ringworm, and folliculitis
How to apply castor oil
It’s best to use castor oil as a hair mask. This is particularly helpful if you’re trying to regrow hair or give it more moist and shine.
- Castor oil has a thick consistency, so you can mix it with coconut oil, olive oil or jojoba oil in a half and half ratio. This will make the mask easier to distribute throughout your hair.
- Use your fingers or a brush and start applying it onto your scalp with circular motions. This gentle massage increases the blood circulation, rejuvenates the hair, and stimulates hair growth.
- Part hair into sections and apply the oil (mixture) to each section until all your hair is covered properly and evenly.
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel (you can also use a shower cap) and leave it for two to eight hours. You can also leave it over night. This will give the oil enough time to penetrate the follicles and hydrate your scalp and hair thoroughly.
- Wash your hair as usual using shampoo and conditioner. Make sure you rinse all the oil out of your hair.
How Often Should you Use Castor Oil?
This depends on your objective and type of hair.
If your aim is to treat hair loss, you will need to do it at least twice weekly, but even better if you can do it three or four times per week for several weeks. You can also add rosemary essential oil which is known to stimulate hair growth (read here for more details), and also work out to find the cause of the hair loss.
For split ends and increased shine, you can use the oil as a conditioner once weekly. Be careful not to use too much of it (a pea-sized amount should do) or you can end up with an over-oily scalp.
For best results use unrefined castor oil, as it contains more nutrients and healing properties.