Tommee Tippee did eventually cop up to the issue, but their apology does not mean that they are speaking on behalf of other companies out there. According to Dr. Claire McCarthy, a pediatrician at Boston Children’s Hospital and assistant professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School, any sippy cup has the ability to harbor mold.
She explains, “Almost by definition, because the way sippy cups work, fluids can get trapped in whatever is being used as the mechanism — and when fluids get trapped and left there, mold can grow.”
To see even more photos from parents who have experienced this horrifying problem, be sure to read Shareably’s article here. And we’re sure it goes without saying, but check those sippy cups, especially if you have any doubt in your mind as to their cleanliness!
What do you think can be done to prevent the growth of mold in these cups? Have you ever encountered mold in your child’s sippy cup? If so, what did you do? Tell us all about your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below!