Your Mouthwash is Strongly Linked to Cancer. Here is What You Can Use Instead

The first information on mouth rinsing is dating back from about 2700 BC. In the Chinese and Ayurveda medicine, mouth rinsing was recommended for treating gingivitis. Mouth rinsing was an ancient practice, and there are many examples that confirm that, including the following ones:

During the Greek and the Roman times, the upper class frequently used a mouth rinse after the mechanical teeth cleaning.

The recommended combination of ingredients for mouth rinsing according to Hippocrates is the one made of vinegar, salt and alum.

The Native Americans used plants like Coptis trifolia (Threeleaf goldthread) for mouth rinsing.

In the seventeenth century, Anton van Leeuwenhoek discovered that there are living organisms that live in people’s mouth. He tested numerous ingredients and substances and their ability to kill those living organisms.

Mister Leeuwenhoek came to a conclusion that the rinses either cannot reach the plaque organisms or they are not present in the mouth long enough to kill them.

In 1960, Harald Loe discovered that a substance, the chlorhexidine, is efficient when it comes to removing the plaque buildup for many hours, due to its ability to strongly adhere to the mouth surfaces.

Have you checked out the ingredients in your mouthwash lately?

These chemicals are present in many of today’s mouth wash (characteristic active ingredients):

Chlorhexidine – the Journal free Radical Biology and Medicine has published a study which says that using mouth wash twice a day can increase the blood pressure, which can further lead to some serious heart conditions. This is thought to be caused by the chemical Chlorhexidine. It is so strong that even kills the good bacteria which are beneficial for relaxing the blood vessels.

Alcohol – this agent dries the saliva, which adds to the unwanted bad breath, and thus reduces it. In the Dental Journal of Australia it was published that the alcohol increases the risk of oral, neck and head cancer.

Hexetidine (oraldene) – ingestion of too much oraldene can cause clots in some brain areas that control sensory and neural functions, and this can cause them fail. It can also lead to unstable heartbeat and allergic reactions and it is also thought to have carcinogenic properties.

Methyl Salicylate – a teaspoon of this substance can replace more than 23,300 mg aspirin. In New York, there was a case of a 17-year-old girl who absorbed a lethal dose by applying a muscle pain reliever to her skin, one that contained methyl salicylate.

Benzalkonium chloride – this ingredient is a known allergen and it is toxic for people. It can cause mucous membrane and skin irritations or even death when ingested in the body.

Cetylphyridinium chloride – this chemical can cause extrinsic tooth staining. It tastes unpleasantly and it can make everything you eat and drink take the same unpleasant taste. It also contains plenty of alcohol, it can lead to sensitivity, irritation and pain to the tongue. A research from 1998 has revealed that this chemical in fact causes plaque buildups, instead reducing them.

Methparaben – a UK study has shown that breast tumors have high levels of parabens, meaning that parabens may cause breast cancer.

Would you want to make your own, natural mouth wash? These natural ingredients will remineralize and whiten your teeth and they will protect you from cavities and make your breath fresher.

Natural Remineralizing Mouth Wash Recipe


  • One teaspoon of xylitol crystals
  • 5 drops of lemon essential oil
  • Couple of drops of wild orange essential oil
  • Two teaspoons of calcium carbonate powder
  • Ten drops of trace mineral liquid
  • Two cups of filtered water
  • Ten drops of peppermint essential oil


Take a large mason jar and put the calcium powder and the xylitol crystals in it and stir well.

Add the drops of essential oils and the liquid minerals to the mixture.

Pour the filtered water in the jar and stir once again.

Close the lid of the mason firmly and shake the ingredients in it for about a minute or until the xylitol crystals dissolve.

Shake the jar well before each use.

Keep the jar in the fridge for up to fifteen days.